Hazardous waste

Household hazardous waste includes any material discarded by a householder which puts human health or the environment at risk because of its chemical or biological nature. 

Examples of household hazardous waste include:

  • Asbestos (for example, ironing board mats or old asbestos guttering)
  • DIY products (such as oil based paint, varnishes, paint stripper and some wood treatments - please note that creosote is now banned for amateur use)
  • Flammable liquids (such as white spirit, paraffin and wood dyes)
  • Garden chemicals (such as weed killers and insect killers)
  • Poisons (for example, rat and mouse poisons)
  • Household cleaning products and chemicals (such as toilet cleaners, drain cleaners and bleaches)
  • Motoring products (such as antifreeze and brake/clutch fluid)
  • Swimming pool chemicals (such as chlorine additives, pH adjusters and algicides)

Disposing of hazardous waste yourself

Paint tins

To safely dispose of hazardous waste:

  • make sure containers are properly labelled and follow manufacturer’s instructions
  • store chemicals safely and away from children and pets
  • place only completely empty containers in your bin

Do not:

  • dispose of any hazardous waste by pouring it down the sink, toilet or drain
  • burn any hazardous waste on a garden bonfire as it can be dangerous
  • dispose of hazardous waste in your bin

Yes, we accept:

  • Used motor oil
  • Household and vehicle batteries
  • Fluorescent tubes and low energy lightbulbs
  • TVs and computers
  • Fire extinguishers (except Halon ones which can be collected through your local council service)

Please ensure that you place them in the designated container.

Recycling centres will not accept other types of household hazardous waste, including paint and asbestos.

Water based paint

If you have less than 1/4 tin left, leave the lid off and mix with dry sand or soil until completely solidified. Then double bag it and place in your black bin. No liquid paint must be placed in your bin or taken to a Recycling Centre.

Oil based paint

This method should not be used for solvent based paint. Contact your local authority to arrange a collection.

Hazardous waste must be collected by a licensed contractor.

Contact the Environment Agency or call 03708 506 506 for guidance on whether your business premises needs to be registered as a producer of hazardous waste.

Suffolk's Collection service

Your local waste collection authority offers a hazardous waste collection service. However there is a charge for this service. You are able to dispose of a range of hazardous waste materials that you would otherwise not be able to at a recycling centre.

What you need to provide

You will need to tell us:

  • your address and contact details
  • the type and number of items to be collected (such as pesticide, varnish)

Please do not understate the amount for collection. You will incur an additional charge if a second collection is needed.


 Collections will be made within 25 working days.

Council website Council phone number
Babergh District Council 01449 778678 (option 4)
East Suffolk Council 0333 0162000
Ipswich Borough Council 01473 432000
Mid Suffolk District Council 01449 778678 (option 4)
West Suffolk Council 01284 757320